Saturday, March 21, 2009

Finding the bright side of a Missouri win in the tourney

In case you hadn't noticed, the Big 12 came out on top in the first round of the NCAA tournament. We're the only league to pitch a shutout. (I know, I'm mixing my sports metaphors, but it's spring training!) Now if only Texas can beat Duke today, the rest of the world should see clearly that one should never ignore the Big 12. Go Longhorns! (In the NIT, Baylor just rolled over Virginia Tech at Virginia Tech. The ACC is so overrated.)

The article also suggests that the basketball gods are once again smiling on the Kansas Jayhawks. As you might recall, we didn't have to face a tougher seed than an 8 on our way to the Final Four last year. (We earned the heck out of the title by beating two of our fellow #1 seeds once in San Antonio.) So thanks to Dayton, we won't have to face a single-digit seed at least until the 3rd round if we make it that far. Of course, how could the basketball gods not smile on the most glorious tradition in all of college basketball? We play on a court named after the founder of the game, after all. And our legendary coach is the guy all the other legendary coaches learned from. I'm pretty sure James Naismith and Phog Allen ARE the basketball gods.

Forgive me if you come here for my various rants on social and criminal justice, or my occasional humorous anecdote. It's March. I get a little basketball crazy in March.

1 comment:

Heather said...

That East Coast biased commentators should BEWARE of the PHOG!

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs