Thursday, August 20, 2015

In which I am feeling utterly and totally defeated because of a man I will never meet

It is because of cases like this that so many criminal defense attorneys burn out, run for the hills or the beaches or the forest. It is so hard to be part of a system that allows this to happen, that considers this an acceptable result.

Jerry Hartfield has been in prison for over 35 years. Even though since 1980, he has not had a conviction.  He hasn't been sitting in a county jail waiting for trial with the attorneys working on things that lead to the trial being delayed. He's been in the state prison system, being treated like he was convicted of rape and murder. For decades.

His own lawyer didn't seem to understand that having his conviction overturned meant the state didn't get to continue to hold Hartfield. It was that very lawyer who worked to get the governor to commute Hartfield's non-existent death sentence to life. And then that was it. Hartfield sat in prison. He sat and sat and sat. With no conviction, no sentence, no authority to hold him at all.

All until finally some other inmate looked through his paperwork and discovered the blatantly obvious error. So Hartfield began raising the very logical and thoroughly undebatable argument that his right to a speedy trial had been denied.

That's a constitutional right, you know. It's one that matters. We don't allow states to hold on to defendants, imprison them indefinitely without requiring those states to present evidence in court, to prove their cases. Why we don't allow defendants to be held indefinitely without a conviction shouldn't require explanation. Evidence disappears, memories fade, witnesses die. It becomes more and more difficult for defendants to counter claims against them the longer the gap between the alleged crime and the trial.

As I wrote before, that Jerry Hartfield's constitutional right to a speedy trial has been violated is not something any rational person can deny. But, sadly, as I also wrote before, the person charged with deciding that issue was woefully irrational and refused to release Hartfield. Even in part blamed him for his plight, for the prosecution's utter and total failure to do anything after his original convictions were reversed, for the state's prison system's utter and total failure to release him.

And now a jury has reconvicted him of that 1976 crime. 125 people on the state's witness list are now dead. The murder weapon is missing. Other pieces of physical evidence are long gone. But, gee, his ability to defend against the state's accusations couldn't have been too prejudiced because a jury found him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. So, I guess we're all good now. Those 30+ years of the state of Texas ignoring Jerry Hartfield is just wiped off the slate.

I am so disheartened by this result, I have no more words.

In all honesty, with no hyperbole, I have to say I do not know how to continue working in a system that considers this outcome justice.

11 comments:

Wendy Owen said...

I was hurt and heart broken by my wife!

My wife is back after separation. thanks to Dr Frank Ojo for bringing back my wife,and brought great joy to my family once again. My wife and I separated 4 months ago and our children, Emily and Robert, live with her in London, but see me every weekend i needed my wife and children back home, I was totally devastated and confused and did not know how to bring them back home because i have tried all my possible best all to no avail, until an old friend of mine told me about a spell caster on the internet called Dr Frank Ojo who help people with their relationship and marriage problem by the powers of love spells, at first I doubted if such thing ever exists but decided to give it a try, when I contacted him i told him everything and he told me that everything will be fine that my family are going to come back to me, all he said i will do is for me to provide the money for him to buy the items and i did and he told me that he is going to cast the spell, he helped me cast a spell and within 48hours my wife came back to me and started apologizing, now she has stopped going out with men and she is with me for good and for real. you can Contact him on { Templeofloveandprosperity@gmail.com } he is genuine. If you have any problem contact Dr Frank Ojo he is real and always ready to solve your problem , E-mail: Templeofloveandprosperity@gmail.com or visit his Web site to know more about him: http://africatemple.yolasite.com.

Sprinting said...

I think you should write a follow up on Russ Faira case. Nutcase Pam Hupp is in jail.

Unknown said...

Asalam-O-Alaiakum! How are you all? Well, I must say that the services were really good, but the guidance was not as great as it should be. We had some issue in Makkah, when we were doing Tawaf, due to the misguidance of the staff members, although the other things were really good. hajj accommodation

Unknown said...

Very interesting post.
Tennis Clinics in hyderabad
Football coaching camps in hyderabad

Unknown said...

What a pity.
No one ever want this.
Function halls in habsiguda
Banquet halls in Habsiguda

Unknown said...

A POWERFUL LOVE SPELL CASTER Dr,Abaka HE SPECIALIZES IN RESTORING BROKEN MARRIAGES CONTACT HIM DIRECTLY ON HIS EMAIL OR WEBSITE (Https://drabakaspelltemple.blogspot.com direct address drabakaspelltemple@gmail.com)..What else can i say rather than to thank Dr, Abaka who God used to reunite my marriage. Each day of my life, i ask God to bless Dr,Abaka for he has made my life complete by bringing back my wife to me and for this reason, i made a vow to my self that i will testify on the internet to let the world know that Dr, Abaka is a God on Earth. My wife and i had a fight for three days which led to our divorce. On this faithful day, i came across a testimony of how Dr,Abaka helped a lady in getting back her lover. So, i contacted him and explained to him and he told me that my days of sorrows are over that my wife will come back to me within 48 hours for he's going to prepare a spell for me. Could you believe it, my wife came home begging that she needs me back. Do you need any kind of help? Contact; (drabakaspelltemple@gmail.com) OR call his phone number via +2349063230051.

-blessed b9, Catalyst4Christ said...

You have to, dear; let God find him.
Besides, we dont gotta long x.
So, first, seek God and repent.
Everything's a vapour anyway:
here 1 day, gone the next.
You can believe that statement
or not... yet, in x, you'll VitSee
Im correct.
God bless you.

-blessed b9, Catalyst4Christ said...

'You DONT have to'
I mean...

Tamara Barrow said...

This is my testimony about the good work of Dr voodoo who help me.... I'm Katherine from London. And am sorry for putting this on net but i will have to by this world top spell caster that brought back my husband which left me out for past 3 years, i eventually met this man on a blog site posting by one of is client for help, i explained everything to him and he told me about a spell caster that he had heard about and he gave me an email address to write to the spell caster to tell him my problems. In just 2 days, my husband was back to me. I just want to say thank you to this truthful and sincere spell caster, sir all you told have come to pass and thank you sir. Please i want to tell everyone who is looking for any solution to problem, i advice you to kindly consult this spell caster, he is real,he is powerful and whatever the spell caster tell is what will happen, because all what the spell caster told me came to pass. You can kindly contact him on: his email address is voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com you can also add Dr.voodoo on whatsApp +2348140120719 contact him immediately.

Tamara Barrow said...

I'm 61 years old. I contracted hpv in 2011' I has be taking lot treatment for it and embarrassed some months ago the wart stated coming out seriously, I used lot recommendation because there was lot warts around my anus and was so . but today I'm totally happy I got the virus eliminated by using natural treatment from Dr voodoo herbal center after his treatment I got cured. all the warts went away' seriously believed Dr. voodoo he have the cure for human papillomavirus because he has eliminated hpv been in my body since 2011, Dr. voodoo make it possible for me. Here is Dr. voodoo email: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or WhatsApp him via +2348140120719 he is welled capable of curing terrible diseases.

monica said...

I want to share a testimony, how i was cured from Herpes by DR AGUGU with his herbal remedy. I don't know where to start, I'm 33 years old and i was diagnoses of genital herpes diseases for 5 years. i lost all hope in life but on like any other i still searched for a cure even on the internet and i saw a comment were a lady testify how she was cured by Dr AGUGU i could not believe it at first, i contacted him, He sent me his herbal remedy i used it for 2 weeks and the Herpes virus was cured completely. I went for medical check and the result was negative from Herpes.
For those who have the same problem, or any STD should contact Dr AGUGU via email: agugusolutionhome@gmail.com you can also call or WhatsApp +2349123794867

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs