Sunday, April 26, 2009

1) Why are cruise ships so much better at fending off pirate attacks than cargo ships? Oh, and why are cruise ships continuing to sail off the coast of Somalia? It's understandable that cargo ships would continue to use the gulf on the northern edge of Africa. But cruise ships don't actually have to get from the Indian Ocean to the Atlantic or vice versa. Cruise ships can go wherever they want. If I were in charge of a cruise line that had regularly offered cruises through the Gulf of Aden, I think I might be re-routing my cruises these days.

2) I wonder how many people this weekend are feeling lethargic, nauseated, and experience a loss of appetite. In all this mention of the potential for a swine flu pandemic, it's easy for the paranoid and hypochondriacs among us to imagine they are suffering flu-like symptoms. I'm guessing. I don't personally know anyone who would be so silly as to think she could have the swine flu. Nope. No one in this house.

3) Microsoft Word is a bad, bad program. WordPerfect is the far superior program. I was forced to switch to Word after years of enjoying the ease of WP. Word is not easy. It is not user-friendly. It certainly does not defer to the formatting choices I make; instead, it imposes itself on me and makes me want to tear my hair out when I can't convince it that I want things my way. I think Word just might be the most despicable software on the planet.

2 comments:

Bob S. said...

S,

I wonder if the cruise line/cargo ship can be boiled down to money.

The cargo ships have insurance to replace losses I'm sure, wonder if those include due to piracy?

The cruise lines not only have to worry about insurance but loss of business due to bad publicity.

I agree about re-routing the cruises. I sure wouldn't go on a cruise anywhere in the area.

Have you checked out OpenOffice.org?


It is a open source, free program that is a replacement for M/S office programs. I've only used it a little, but find in some respects it is a superior product. Especially for free.

BellsforStacy said...

Actually the cruise ships hired security. Israeli security from what I understand. The merchant ships have not done that.

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs