Friday, May 8, 2009

Sometimes you gotta cut loose -- Footloose

17 year-old Tyler Frost can kick off his Sunday shoes for a few days. Because if he goes to that immoral dance with its brianwashing music, he will be suspended from his private Baptist high school.

Christian school tells boy to skip prom

A student at a Baptist school that forbids dancing, rock music, hand-holding and kissing will be suspended if he takes his girlfriend to her public high school prom, his principal said.Link

Much like Ren McCormack, Tyler presented his case to the proper authorities. He wanted to take his girlfriend to her prom. He went to his high school principal to get a signature, approving his attending the other prom. The principal signed the permission slip (required by the public school), but then told the boy he would be suspended from school if he attended. If he gets involved with alcohol or sex at the prom, he'll be expelled.

I guess Heritage Christian School doesn't have much faith in its indoctrination -- oops, I mean teaching -- methods. Because, evidently, they think letting Tyler out of their grip for one night with that devilish rock music risks his everlasting soul. If they've taught him well and prepared him to be a good, strong Christian young man, shouldn't he be well-equipped to spend one evening among non-believers without losing his moral compass? I would respectfully suggest that they would do better by their students to teach them to hold strong to their moral views in the face of temptation instead of requiring them always to turn away from it.

In other words, I don't think wanting to take his girlfriend to her prom is any cause for alarm about the state of his soul. I think it's sweet.

But since I don't believe in God, I like dancing, and I love loud music (and alcohol) (and sex), they probably don't much care about my opinion.

2 comments:

Dan said...

Well, when you go to a private school, you are expected to conorm to a certain set of standards. If the student and his parents signed that code of conduct, then they have to follow it. Them's the rules.

S said...

Sure, I agree with that. I just think the rule is silly. And I think it's funny to know that Footloose shenanigans still happen.

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs