Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I was doing it again today. I know I shouldn't, but I can't help myself. I read those damn comments on newspaper websites. I know that commenters will often cast aspersions on the defense attorneys who represent people accused of crimes. I don't understand why, but I know people feel defense attorneys are scum.

But some people suggest that the defense attorneys themselves should do time in prison. Or be held civilly liable for causing pain and suffering to the victims by prolonging the process. You know, by protecting the accused's constitutional rights. I find that attitude infuriating. God knows those commenters would go running for help if they were ever accused of anything.

But someone today took it a step farther. A commenter today wrote that the attorney should be killed. And only one person chastised the poster. One out of many is hardly enough. What is wrong with people? Think what you will of defense attorneys (although why you hate due process is beyond me), but can't we all agree that threatening to kill attorneys is wrong? It doesn't make you pro-criminal to step up and tell that commenter the threat was over the line.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

"What is wrong with people?" indeed. I think you do wonderful and important work.

Meryl said...

I'm still all fired up about that. Probably need to just realize that people are stupid and let it go, but it's just so frustrating....

lu said...

i hope that the editors found that commentor's post incediary and removed it. totally inappropriate, in my opinion.

S said...

Yes, Lu, the editors did remove the comment, but it did take a while.

Unknown said...

I've had to have armed guards more than the average joe. At least it makes life exciting.

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs