Friday, March 14, 2008

Why I hate the death penalty, Part 1 (of 764 and counting)

The death penalty brings out the absolute worst in people. Those advocating the execution of someone almost never say it's a necessary evil or express any hesitation about taking the life of another person. No, it's "fry the bastard!" And "don't waste another dime of taxpayer money keeping this pos alive!"

They're practically foaming at the mouth. You can sense the bloodlust boiling under the surface. they just can't wait to kill someone. And they come up with ugly, nasty, albeit creative ways to kill these wastes of oxygen (aka people).

I will never forget the scene outside Ted Bundy's execution. An ugly crowd had gathered to enjoy the festivities. They chanted. They sang. They had signs. The one I remembered was "McBundy Fries." They were gleeful at the death of another human being. My mother and I sat in our living room and cried at the display.

So I know the death penalty is wrong because anything that brings out this much ugliness must be bad. Maybe I wouldn't feel so strongly opposed to it if those in favor of it had the basic human decency to be really conflicted about. If they lost any sleep over it whatsoever. But they don't. They just want to kill, kill, kill. Well, that's nothing but premeditated, cold-blooded murder and I want no part of it.

No comments:

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs