Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I've now read most of the opinions in Baze. This is the US Supreme Court case that came out today, affirming Kentucky's lethal injection protocol. I wish I had something brilliant to write about it, but between reading that and reading the transcript of today's oral argument in Kennedy, the child rape capital case, I'm feeling rather depressed about the state of the death penalty in this country.

My main reaction to Baze was how surreal it was to read this calm, dispassionate discussion about the best way to kill people. I will never understand how people can be so matter-of-fact about killing. Talk about premeditated and calculated killing. How is this not murder?

And, predictably, prosecutors and politicians are already calling for the killing machine to get cranking again. Missouri's Governor and Attorney General just can't wait to stick a needle in someone's arm. I don't want to have to live among such blood-thirsty people anymore.

No comments:

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs