Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Big day, Maine

Today, the voters in Maine will vote on Question 1: "Do you want to
reject the new law that let's same-sex couples marry and allow
individuals and religious groups to refuse to perform these marriages?"

The legislature in Maine has already passed a law allowing same-sex
marriage, making this ballot question unique in the history of the gay
marriage debate. The polling has been close and this is an off-year
election, so I have no idea what to expect from this vote. Plus, it's
an oddly worded question. It reads to me as a compound question that
can't necessarily be answered with just a yes or no. I hope the voters
in Maine understand exactly what the question is asking. And I hope
the answer by the majority is a great big "no!"

Today's vote could be a huge step forward towards marriage equality.
But if the vote does come out the other way, I still won't lose faith.
I believe this war for equality will be won. It is only a matter of
time.

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs