Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Here's the thing, Todd Akin

You DID do something ethically and morally wrong. You made an outrageous claim about the biology of conception that has absolutely no scientific support. I view that as unethical. In so doing, you implied that any woman who did get pregnant as a result of rape must not have legitimately been raped. Like maybe they didn't fight hard enough. Or maybe they enjoyed it just a little. I view that as immoral.

I'm not saying you should get out of the race. Heck, I want McCaskill to win, and right now it might well be that you staying in is the best thing for her. I'm just saying it would be nice if you could view this as a teaching moment. Recognizing that you are the one who needs to be taught something. About your views on women and sex. About your unfortunate apparent willingness to ignore science in favor of your pre-set political and religious views. But why bother with any of that when you'd just rather yell at that darn liberal media. Yep, you've definitely chosen the more productive path.

5 comments:

BellsforStacy said...

The irony is in this instance it's not the liberal media. It's the conservatives begging him to just GO AWAY. If he loses (which I think that's probably likely) his career is finished. He won't get one dime of support from anyone. If, by some wierd circumstance, he wins, he'll be a pariah in Congress and no one will work with him and he'll be ineffective. Not a scenario I think we have to worry about.

Honestly I think the Dems want him to stay in because it's a sure thing. It's why they put $1.5M behind his primary campaign to begin with; they wanted him to go against McCaskill (whom I can't stand, to be honest).

He's an idiot. Trying to defend himself (and listening to the few morons trying to defend him) just makes me sick. He could have stuck to his pro-life stance and said something along the lines of, even in instances of rape, it's not the unborn childs fault. Which is an opinion, and not wierdo biology garbage that he mumbled.

And the idiotic part is I think he truly believes that mumbo jumbo. I want to shake him. Really? My body has some sort of amazing ability to prevent a pregnancy in the instance that it doesn't like the way it was concieved? Really? So the two miscarriages I had ... my bodies way of ... what? Exactly?

He's an evangelical and when I first heard the statement what I thought he meant, what I inferred was, "God won't let a child be born out of TRUE rape." Such garbage. As my mother pointed out ... women are being raped in the Sudan as part of an "ethnic cleansing" effort. Why is that, oh Mr. Akin? BECAUSE THEY GET PREGNANT AND THE WARLORDS CAN WIPE OUT AN ENTIRE POPULATION.

I'm as opposed to abortion as they come - and I'm SO SO SO SO tired of talking about abortion - but this man is a menace and needs to get out of the way so the grownups can handle our countries issues.

S said...

Watching Sean Hannity practically beg him to quit was pretty funny. I love your last line!

I agree it would have been so much easier to deal with if he had said something about recognizing the trauma of rape, but still believing that abortion is taking a life and is therefore wrong. But his idiotic and wrong medical claim was so offensive on so many levels,

And he's on the Science Committee in the House! Yeesh.

BellsforStacy said...

Ugh, how did you sit through Sean Hannity? What once was tolerable is now just completely assinine. I can READ some of his opinions but hearing him talk just sends me over the edge.

S said...

Oh, I didn't watch it! I just caught a clip on another show.

BellsforStacy said...

Okay that makes so much more sense.

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs