Thursday, May 27, 2010

DADT on its death bed?

So one hurdle is down for "Don't ask, don't tell".  Repeal of that pernicious policy has now passed the U.S. House of Representatives.  Whoo-hoo!  I did e-mail my Representative, Dennis Moore, about it, but he is the only Democrat in the Kansas Congressional delegation, so I wasn't terribly concerned about his vote.  I assumed he would be on the right side of history.

And now the battle turns to the Senate.  Sadly, I have no hope that either of my Senators will follow the example of Mr. Moore.  In the past few days, I have e-mailed both of them, urging them to fall on the side opposing discrimination.  Sen. Sam Brownback, who hopes to be my governor soon, is "hesitant to change a policy with such enormous implications for all parts of military life, especially during wartime."  I would prefer my Senator would be hesitant to continue a policy of blatant discrimination, but I didn't vote for this guy, anyway.  My other Senator, Pat Roberts, is also opposed to a change in the policy.  He considers his "commitment to ensure the best fighting force for our nation" to be his top priority.  Again, I would prefer a Senator who considered equal protection under the law to be his top priority, but I didn't vote for this guy, either.

Folks, "don't ask don't tell" is discrimination.  That's all it is.  And those who support it are in favor of discrimination.  Any excuses for studying a change or continuing the current policy or taking our time are red herrings.  There is simply no rational justification for excluding gays from military service.  Don't even bother trying to convince me otherwise because it will only serve to make me think less of you.  Any justification anyone suggests is crap.

I am ashamed to be represented by two Senators who stand on the side of discrimination.  I can only hope that my bigoted representatives will be in the minority.  We as a nation need to be better than this.  We as a nation need to say no longer will we tolerate a policy that forces people to lie in order to defend their country.

No comments:

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs