Sunday, January 23, 2011

The drought is (almost) over!

It has been over 2 long years since I have been able to do one of my favorite things.  It makes me feel alive, vibrant, and like the best version of myself.  It makes my spine tingle and my toes curl.  It makes me feel invincible, unstoppable, and beyond awesome.

I am talking, of course, about oral argument.  (You didn't really think I was talking about something else, did you?)  I love oral argument.  I know a lot of my colleagues don't enjoy it as much as I do; there have been a few over the years who even dreaded argument.  But not me.  I get the best rush out of those 15 minutes.  When I enter my appearance and state that I am ready for argument, I mean it.  Bring it on.  Bring on your questions, Court, because I won't hesitate to answer any of them.  I don't need notes, I don't do much prep.  I just step up to that podium and go.

Think me arrogant and cocky if you will, but I'm really pretty darn good at oral argument.  My talents have been wasting away in these off years.  I haven't been able to experience that rush, to feel the satisfaction of answering every question thrown at me, in over two long years.  I feel a bit like all of the servants in the Disney version of "Beauty and the Beast" eagerly anticipating being human again.  When I finally get to argue again after this long drought, I will be myself again. 

I've got a bottle of champagne sitting in my wine fridge, waiting for a good occasion to pop it.  Tomorrow just might be it.

No comments:

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs