Monday, December 3, 2012

Congrats. And good luck.

I know, I know, who cares about a royal bun in the oven, right? I don't. I am as pleased for William and Kate as I would be for any random strangers and about as interested.

But perhaps something good can come out of the blessed news about the Duchess' pregnancy: maybe more in the general public will become aware of hyperemesis gravidarum (HG) and people will stop referring to it as really bad morning sickness. It isn't something that can be treated with saltines and a little ginger ale. It isn't hypersensitive women being crazy and wimpy. It requires hospitalizations and IV fluids and anti-nausea meds and feeding tubes. It is a serious illness that makes pregnancy a very dangerous thing for many women. It can lead to miscarriages or women having to abort much-wanted pregnancies to save their own lives. It killed Charlotte Bronte.

I can only hope that being married to the future King of England means Kate will get the best care in the world instead of backlash that she should just suck it up. And I hope that having such a public face on HG will help all the other women around the world who could get the treatments but didn't know they had anything more than "really bad morning sickness."

1 comment:

BellsforStacy said...

True. True.

http://twitchy.com/2012/12/03/joan-walsh-mocks-kate-middletons-morning-sickness-backpedals-then-makes-pope-jokes/

I don't know why women insist on judging other women so harshly. I think she did get hospitalized. I hope she has an easier pregnancy from here. From the rumors that it's twins I'm wondering if they needed help and maybe there are issues. :(

But I'm not current on the gossip mags. So I could be way off.

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs