Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Doomed to darkness

I am mired in darkness, from which there appears to be no escape.  The light in my staircase burnt out a few weeks ago.  It's a narrow, steep staircase with no other sources of light.  Going up the stairs without the light on seems like inviting a horror-movie ending at the top.  Going down the stairs without the light is even scarier.  Each morning, my eager, happy-to-be-alive-and-awake pup pecks her way down those stairs in the dark.  Back when I had light, she zoomed.

You might think that I would have replaced that light bulb by now, but the light's in a very bad place.  It will require precarious balancing.  I don't do well with precarious balancing.  And so the light remains out.

Then the kitchen light burnt out about a week ago.  And, again, I have taken no steps to fix it because, well, I still had the light over the stove, and I haven't been home much, and, let's be honest, I'm a little lax when it comes to basic household chores.  I did think about stopping at the store on my way home tonight to buy light bulbs, but it's gray and I'm tired, so going straight home sounded better.

Then this evening, the stove light died on me.  So finally, I went to the store.  I bought light bulbs.  See, I can take a hint.

Except when I came home and removed the globe to what I had assumed was my standard kitchen light fixture, I found some odd form of halogen light bulb that I've never seen before.  And the staircase light remains in an unreachable spot.  So the standard light bulbs I bought remain sitting impotently in their bag and I remain stuck in the dark.  Well, not completely.  The stove light is back on.

No comments:

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs