Friday, September 28, 2012

First do no harm

This headline brought some cheer to my day. I've always been troubled by the connection of any sort of medical professionals with executions. Well, I've always been troubled by the logistics of executions period. There is something so troubling about people calmly and coolly deciding the mechanics of carrying out the premeditated killing of a human being. I have always believed that whether people acknowledge it or not, participating in this process has to have a negative effect on people.

If I were involved in the manufacturing of some otherwise innocuous product that corrections officials decided would work well as part of an execution protocol, I'd certainly balk at having my work product used in that way. So I applaud the manufacturer of this drug who is now refusing to sell the product to a corrections department. If drug manufacturer, who are at least theoretically in the business of helping people, rise up and say they don't want their medications used in this way, that would throw a wrench in the capital punishment works. And I am A-Ok with that!

2 comments:

A Voice of Sanity said...

Quote: "I have always believed that whether people acknowledge it or not, participating in this process has to have a negative effect on people."

It has that effect on the prison employees who carry it out and history has examples of hangmen who became alcoholics. I suspect the blowhards who claim they would "pull the switch" would funk it if challenged to follow through.

S said...

I agree.

On the night of the Troy Davis murder, I remember one of the networks brought on a man who had overseen several executions and he talked about how hard it was on the people who had to do it, but no one seemed to much care.

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs