Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Yes, John Couey's appeal is dead

It occurred to me this morning that oral arguments were supposed to be
heard today in the direct appeal of the man who committed the crime
that spawned Jessica's Law. (Yes, my memory is that freaky.) When
Couey died, I questioned whether that would be the end of his appeal.
So I checked the Florida Supreme Court's website today and learned
that Couey's attorneys had voluntarily dismissed the appeal.

So there you go. I have no idea whether this appeal had any
meritorious issues or how motions to keep appeals going after a
defendant's death are usually received by Florida courts. I do know
I'm glad I practice in a state that simply proceeds with the appeal so
I would never have to be in the position of giving up on one of my
cases.

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs